Dashboard needle not lighting up

Voor info en vragen over styling van je 8G!
Plaats reactie
DLGDK
Provincie: Nordjylland

Dashboard needle not lighting up

Bericht door DLGDK »

I apologize that I'm not from the Netherlands and post here, but I really need some help with this topic. I've got a 97 6A13, and the previous owner has changed the plating on the dashboard, to some plasmadiscs?. They are those white ones, from Innoparts. The problem is that the needles never light up and I can't see them very well. I've read somewhere there is some plastic on the backsite of the needles you're supposed to remove and then you can repaint them, but mine doesn't light up at all.
menno3x8g
Provincie: Groningen

Re: Dashboard needle not lighting up

Bericht door menno3x8g »

Maybe you can find some information at: [External Link Removed for Guests]
You need to register to see all of the information.
Good luck!
Galant bijv.naamw. Uitspraak: [xaˈlɑnt] (van mannen) erg vriendelijk en beleefd tegen vrouwen. Voorbeeld: `Hij kuste haar galant de hand.`
Yeti
Provincie: Connacht (IRL)
Contacteer:

Bericht door Yeti »

Hi there,

Welcome, Don't look any further help is on this Forum I do have the same dials available here.

So the needles are back lit by the original dash lamps. My assumption is that they are either disabled or the bulbs are just blown. (3.4Watts)

Just remove the dash and check the bulbs (4 + 1 of them). If it's not the bulbs then you have to measure the connectors.
Lets first check those bulbs if they are working come back to me and we walk you trough checking the wiring. (multimeter or test lamp required)

Rheostat is not in the lowest position is it?
foto's 2006-2007 047.jpg
1999 2.0L GLX Limited edition Adding,
VR-4 OEM strut Brace, VR-4 OEM Brakes, EVO 6 OEM OZ racing Rims, Recaro Sport Trendline seats, OEM CC, OEM AUTO A/C, OEM HL Washers, OEM Folding Mirrors, OEM Muffler Control.
Rest complete new bolt over and Paint.
DLGDK

Bericht door DLGDK »

Thank you so much, I will check the bulbs as soon as possible. Actually the rheostat doesn't affect the dials at all, the little controller is the only thing changing the color and brightness on them now.
Yeti
Contacteer:

Bericht door Yeti »

Correct the plasma dials are completely independent and you could also change them from green into blue with that little controller. Do the switches illuminate and are you still be able to control the brightness of those?
VR-4 OEM strut Brace, VR-4 OEM Brakes, EVO 6 OEM OZ racing Rims, Recaro Sport Trendline seats, OEM CC, OEM AUTO A/C, OEM HL Washers, OEM Folding Mirrors, OEM Muffler Control.
DLGDK

Bericht door DLGDK »

I finally got around to take it out, it seems like some of the sockets for the bulbs are missing. I am gonna look at a nearby scrapyard, if I am lucky they've got a Galant sitting around. I did have two sockets for the tank and one for the speedometer, is it correctly assumed that there is two bulbs for the speedometer? Or where is the 5th one?
I see they've run the wires for the plasma dials through where the sockets previously were placed, so I guess I have to reroute them through another hole.
The littler controller works, it changes color and brightness- but it's whining when in use.
Yeti
Contacteer:

Bericht door Yeti »

I never used a lamp socket to power the plasma dials.
If you have a LHD car you can easily use connector C-96 (which is a spare connector) and connect your plasma control to pin 1 and 2 of that connector.
Connector_C_96.pdf
(481.26 KiB) 9 keer gedownload
Also look at the cluster layout and see that bulbs B and C are used to back lit the dials and thus the needles
Bulbs normal cluster.JPG
part numbers and specs of the bulbs you can find here viewtopic.php?p=42171#p42171
DLGDK

Bericht door DLGDK »

The bulb sockets are not used in the plasma dials, I don't quite understand why I would wanna connect the plasma controller again?

Though thank you for the list, I still need the sockets first
Yeti
Contacteer:

Bericht door Yeti »

Partnumber are:
for the big sockets are MB045009
For the small sockets MB066067
Yeti
Contacteer:

Bericht door Yeti »

DLGDK schreef: 09 mar 2023, 04:12 The bulb sockets are not used in the plasma dials, I don't quite understand why I would wanna connect the plasma controller again?

Though thank you for the list, I still need the sockets first
Plasma controller to light up the plasma dials
Bulbs plus sockets for the lighting of the needles.

I only provided you an option to use the rheostat to power your plasma controller so all lights (needle, plasma dials, and switches) can be dimmed / brightened simultaneously. You always have to use the plasma controller for your dials as the controller contains an inverter that will provide the dials with an AC current, all other systems in the car using DC current. Without this plasma controller your dials won't work.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “(8G) Styling (interieur & exterieur)”